Research Manager, Ethiopia Peace Research Facility
The Ethiopia Peace Research Facility (PRF) is envisioned to be a space wherein key conflict and peace research institutes, including the Institute for Peace and Security Studies (IPSS) of Addis Ababa University, the universities of Jigjiga and Bahir Dar and individual analysts come together to support research on peace.
The PRF is in its second year of implementation with funding from the Foreign and Commonwealth Development Organisation (FCDO) in partnership with Conciliation Resources to promote sustainable and inclusive peace in Ethiopia. The current phase is expected to run up to the end of March 2024. RVI will explore and shape the development and establishment of an Ethiopia Conflict Research Facility which is envisioned to be a catalyst of joint analysis and learning on peace dialogue, and inform peacebuilding programming.
The Research Manager (RM) has the overall responsibility for the delivery of the programme’s research and analysis components, including coordinating research projects and regular analytical outputs, to support, shape and inform and enable constructive dialogue and political consensus in and on Ethiopia. The Research Manager will report to the PRF Team Leader/Horn of Africa Programme Manager and work with the Facility’s consultants to design relevant research and analytical activities and products that maximise impact. The Research Manager also works with RVI finance colleagues to ensure effective budget management for research activities while working closely with the RVI Publications Manager to ensure effective production and dissemination of publications.
Lead in the delivery of the Facility’s research and analysis work: The RM will lead in the design and implementation of the Facility’s research activities: commission researchers; ensure research outputs are relevant and responding to the needs of stakeholders and are produced in an efficient and cost-effective manner. The RM is responsible for the production of research outputs and publications, collaborates with editors and graphic designers and the RVI publications team; supports dissemination and uptake through donor briefings, policy advisory workshops and engagement events; collaborates with Ethiopian organisations and researchers for the production of high-quality research outputs.
Programme management: The RM is responsible for financial and budget management of the Facility’s research activities; supports the logistics and administration needs of consultants; engages in donor reporting, documentation of programme outputs, impacts, learning and adaptation. The RM will mentor junior researchers and document evidence of impact to support the Facility’s learning activities.
Knowledge management: The RM is responsible for managing, recording and storing data related to research and analysis products and projects, ensuring adherence to RVI data protection policies.
Knowledge and Qualifications
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in a relevant field of study or equivalent e.g. social science, political science or anthropology.
- Excellent understanding of current and historical political dynamics in Ethiopia
- Excellent grasp of social science research design and methodology, especially qualitative methods
- Thematic expertise and knowledge in the field of peacebuilding, democratisation, federalism, and state-building an advantage
- Research networks across Ethiopia (including with relevant government authorities and NGOs)
- Right to work in Ethiopia
- A minimum of five-years experience in designing and implementing social science and political research projects (preferably in fragile environments), including conducting field research, commissioning research, managing research teams and the production of research outputs.
- Track-record in developing relationships with research organisations and supporting partners to deliver effective research products.
- Experience in complex data management processes for qualitative research projects
- Track record of delivering policy-relevant research to a range of high-level audiences (UN, government, institutional donors)
- Experience in programme financial management.
- Experience in research uptake and dissemination.
- Experience working with an NGO is an advantage
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent writing and editing skills in English and fluency in Amharic. An additional Ethiopian language is an advantage.
- Demonstrable ability to implement and innovate research methodologies and data analysis (including mixed methods),
- Excellent political analysis skills
- Cultural sensitivity and experience of working with diverse constituencies.
- Strong public speaking and oral presentation and communication skills with a wide range of audiences.
Job Title: Research Manager – Peace Research Facility, Ethiopia
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Employment type: Full-time, one-year contract (through 31 March 2024), renewable subject to funding
Start date: As soon as possible.
Salary: According to organisational salary grading system and commensurate with skills and experience.
Benefits: Annual paid leave, health insurance and pension.
How to apply:
Please refer to the full Job Description attached at the end of this page, the recruitment pack here.
Please find the application form here: https://riftvalley.wufoo.com/forms/q1xdlp7i13wusn4/
Applications must include the following:
- A full CV (no more than two to three pages)
- A cover letter supporting your application outlining your motivation, experience, and knowledge relevant for the position (no more than two pages)
- The name, email address and telephone numbers of two professional referees, one must be your most recent supervisor.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application closing date: 13th March 2023
Expected interview dates: Week of 20th March 2023.