Head of South Sudan Office Overview
RVI has been working in South Sudan since 2001, undertaking research, training and mentoring early career researchers from South Sudan, and convening public discussion and debate on critical social issues and development. Our field-based research emerges from and seeks to respond to ideas generated by the communities and institutions with which we work. Our research is published and disseminated through in-person meetings and online. We work with and invest in long term partnerships, including the National Archives of South Sudan and the University of Juba and the Catholic University of South Sudan. Further information about RVI’s work in South Sudan can be found here.
The Head of RVI’s South Sudan Office is a key role in RVI, that supports the delivery of RVI’s development strategy by leading the development and management of RVI’s work in South Sudan, Sudan and some transregional projects. Central to this role is a commitment to original and ethical research, investment in African researchers, and promoting access to public information. The Head of the South Sudan Office deploys the resources of the Institute in a way that maintains RVI’s reputation for excellence and reliability as a partner in development with the people of South Sudan
The Head of RVI’s South Sudan has the following key responsibilities:
Strategic Leadership and Programme Development
The Head of Office leads RVI’s programme in South Sudan and is responsible for identifying how RVI’s distinct competence can contribute to making positive changes for the peoples of South Sudan. Monitoring and analysing the political, social, humanitarian and security developments and international engagement in the country is an important aspect of this role. The Head of Office leads a team of staff and consultants to develop RVI’s research, education and public information activities in ways that strengthen existing partnerships and develop new ones with organizations and individuals to further the aims of the Institute in South Sudan and elsewhere in the region. Key programmes include investing in the professional development of early career researchers, particularly women, social research on critical development challenges, promoting access to information through publications and public seminars and support to the development of the South Sudan National Archives. The Head of Office ensures RVI’s work is properly documented and promotes best practice and learning within the Institute.
Office, Personnel, and Financial Management
The Head of Office manages the Juba office and RVI’s presence in South Sudan, ensuring the Institute is legally registered and adheres to the laws and regulations of the country. The Head of Office ensures the Sudan office is staffed by skilled and experienced personnel who can effectively deliver work, supporting their professional growth through performance management and staff development processes. The Head of Office oversees the management of security for RVI staff and consultants in collaboration with the RVI security focal point in Nairobi. The role oversees the financial management of RVI’s operations in South Sudan in collaboration with finance staff in Juba and Nairobi.
Public and Donor Relations
The Head of Office represents the Institute in South Sudan. The role involves cultivating and brokering relationships with government, national institutions, donors, and international organisations. The Head of Office represents and disseminates the work of the Institute, with a view to maximizing its influence, and expanding funding to ensure sustainability and long-term impact.
Commitment to RVI’s values, vision, aims and ways of working.
Knowledge & Qualifications
- Masters degree in international development or a relevant discipline
- Proven knowledge of the South Sudan operating context
- Proven knowledge of managing research projects
- Experience in senior management and leadership roles.
- Successful track record of managing large donor funded projects.
- Experience in a flexible and participatory approach to management
- Experience of prioritising a high workload and multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with
- Track record of successfully working with national researchers and research institutions.
- Experience managing national and international consultants working in Juba and globally.
- Experience in mentoring and supporting the professional development of staff.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to manage people through regular performance management.
- Proven ability to build positive and collaborative relations with consultants, partners, donors, academics, and communities in South Sudan.
- Create a positive, open working environment with room for growth for all the staff.
- Build positive, open communications with colleagues in other offices – seeks opportunities for cross-collaboration with other programmes in South Sudan and elsewhere.
- Ability to work in another regional language—French, Arabic, Somali, Amharic or Swahili—would be an advantage.
- Willingness to travel.
Job Title: Head of Office – RVI South Sudan
Location: Juba, South Sudan
Employment type: Full-time, and permanent
Start date: As soon as possible.
Salary: According to organisational salary grading system and commensurate with skills and experience.
Benefits: Annual paid leave, health insurance and pension.
How to apply:
Please use the attached full Job Description as a guide and apply here.
Applications must include the following:
- A full CV (no more than two to three pages)
- A cover letter supporting your application outlining your motivation, experience, and knowledge relevant for the position (no more than two pages)
- The name, email address and telephone numbers of two professional referees, one must be your most recent supervisor.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application closing date: 7th June 2023