RVI seeks an exceptional undergraduate or a graduate-level intern who is quick to learn new skills, to join the friendly, hard-working team in RVI’s Nairobi office. The internship will take place from January-March 2018. The successful applicant will be supporting the Institute's operations in Eastern and Central Africa, primarily in event management. They will assist RVI staff and consultants in a number of different areas of activity depending on aptitude and demonstrated excellence. The application deadline is 31 December 2017. The role is suited to a candidate interested in pursuing a career in event management and conference production.
Four days per week
Travel and lunch allowance
31 December 2017
The Rift Valley Institute (www.riftvalley.net) is an independent, non-profit organization, founded in Sudan in 2001, currently working in eastern and central Africa. The aim of the Institute is to advance useful knowledge of the region and its diverse communities, bringing a better understanding of local realities to bear on social and political action. The RVI works with institutions in the region to develop and implement long-term programmes that combine action-oriented research with education and public information. The Institute is a registered charity in the United Kingdom. The RVI is an equal-opportunity employer.
General assistance to the RVI Nairobi office including:
- Produce weekly data analysis, narrative reports and minutes for forum and course programmes
- Maintain updated contact information on RVI central database
- Assist in preparation of brief updates of forum events for the website
- Assist in pre and post event administration and logistics
- Assist in communicating and coordinating with RVI consultants, partners and event participants
- Update RVI social media platforms
- General support in all RVI projects and programmes, where required
Qualifications, skills and experience
- Strong interest in Eastern and Central Africa
- Fluent in written and spoken English, with French as an added advantage
- Proven aptitude in writing
- Working proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel, Dropbox, Mailchimp
- Experience in efficient event management
- Strong organizational skills
- Experience in social media management and marketing will be an added advantage
Reporting and management lines
The Intern will report to the RVI Programme Officers in Nairobi. S/he will undertake the responsibilities described above with additional support from other RVI staff.
Modification to duties
These are the normal duties which the RVI requires from you at the date of your appointment. However, it may be necessary for changes to be made to this job description in accordance with the needs of the job and the organisation. Existing duties may be changed and new duties may be added. Any changes will be made after consultation with you.
Applications are now closed. All submissions require a CV and a cover letter including two references. The deadline for applications is 31 December. Interviews will be held in January 2018. For further information see www.riftvalley.net or write to email@example.com. The position is only open to candidates who have legal residency in Kenya or right to work in Kenya.
The Rift Valley Institute is an equal opportunities employer.